Sunday, June 10, 2012

Twang Mix

Admission: I don't much care for country music. I've tried - and occasionally I've found an artist or a song I can get down with - but for the most part a two-step beat accompanied by a nasal twang will send me running for the hills. On the other hand, I totally love Gram Parsons, and a C&W influence never did any harm to the Stones, and it's pretty heretical to say anything bad about Johnny Cash.

So here's a mix that isn't country music, but it's about as close as I go. A lot of it might have been termed alt.country or country punk in earlier times, but really it's just good ol' rock 'n' roll - which was more or less created when white hillbilly music mated with black rhythm 'n' blues, so it's only natural some bands are gonna lean a little more one way or the other.

I'll put up a similar mix in the near future that even leans a little more in that direction (Country Monger).  In the meantime, I'm gonna try to re-up some of the lost links in the MegaUpload fiasco.  Also, keep an eye out for a 2nd volume of my 2012 faves (it's a goodie) and the annual summer mix (and day now). Cheers!

Let 'Em Run

1. Stewboss Time
2. Lucero Tears Don't Matter Much
3. Richard Buckner Jewelbomb
4. Drive-by Truckers Gravity's Gone
5. The Glossary Lonely is a Town
6. Tift Merritt Stray Paper
7. The Mendoza Line An Architect's Eye
8. Pat Todd & the Rankoutsiders Hell's Half Acre
9. Stacie Collins I Won't Do Ya Like That
10. The Cur Dogs Apology With Every Song
11. Sons of Bill Life in Shambles
12. Marah East
13. Go To Blazes All Wrapped Up
14. The Honeydogs Losing Transmissions
15. Carolyn Mark & NQ Arbuckle Too Sober To Sleep
16. I Can Lick Any Sonofabitch in the House Westboro Baptist Church
17. Tommy Womack Tellin' You What You Want to Hear
18. Neko Case Karoline
19. Deadstring Brothers Sacred Heart
20. John Moreland Good Book
21. Justin Townes Earle Baby's Got a Bad Idea
22. Maxim Ludwig & the Santa Fe Seven Stacy, C'mon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another great one. Only a couple of songs in and enjoying it immensely. 'Westboro Baptist Church' is a knockout!

Finchy

lezziesluvharpos said...

Doooood...looks like a great mix. Looking forward to checking it out.

Roy Pearl said...

Nescobar!